Thursday, September 22, 2011

Decisions: Does your choice of RPG character/class say something about you?

I have always been intrigued by the way the human mind works.  Maybe I should have been a psychologist instead of majoring in Mathematics.  The choices we make in life are not only influenced by our past but define who we are in the present.  While picking a character to play in an RPG game should not be a life changing decision (if it is, please seek immediate psychological help), it is something you will be investing a decent chunk of time into, so you don't want to make a decision that you will regret later.

So what exactly goes into our decision-making process?  Is it a somewhat random occurrence where you pick a random class because you want to try something new?  Or is there something in our nature/nurture that guides us towards a particular class.  I for one, have always been attracted to the paladin style classes.  In Diablo II I played as a Paladin, in WoW I started out as an Alliance Paladin, in LoL I have been playing Taric and Soraka a lot (support classes), and now as Diablo III is set to release I am leaning towards playing as the Monk class.

After thinking about this for quite some time I have decided that there is a natural tendency within me to want to be this righteous and divine crusader.  One who protects, heals, and buffs his allies and can still deal some damage himself.  I suppose this parallels my real life experience as I never strive to really be center of attention.  However, many times this can work to my detriment unfortunately.

So now I propose the question to you, what type of class do you tend to be drawn into playing and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment